Orientation in Karlsruhe and at KIT
Take advantage of our orientation aids. The buildings of the Engler-Bunte-Institut are marked on this map of the KIT. Further useful information can be found on the tourism page of the city of Karlsruhe. You can also visit us via Google-Maps.
On the Campus-South reaching for the institute
In order to find our institute on Campus-Süd you may have a look on this description oder on Google maps.
Arrival at Karlsruhe
... by train,
... by car or
... by plane, and
how to get around Karlsruhe
... by public transport,
... by train:
When you arrive, take the main exit. If you want to travel to the city center of Karlsruhe or to the campus, you can take any tram going to the right (direction: Marktplatz). To direct to the city or KIT please take tram nr. 3 direction to Oberreut, 4 heading for Waldstadt and S4 in direction to Bretten/Heilbronn. If you are reaching for KIT please leave at stop Kronenplatz,Universität. For further details please refer to the pages of KVV.
Further information regarding train schedules and connections can be obtained from the online-timetable of the Deutsche Bahn AG.
... by car:
- From the northwest (Köln, Bonn) At the left hand Rhine side take autobahn A 61 in direction of Ludwigshafen, at the motorway junction (Autobahndreieck) Hockenheim take autobahn A 6 in direction of Nürnberg, and at the motorway junction (Autobahnkreuz) Walldorf turn into the A 5 in direction of Karlsruhe. At the right hand Rhine side take autobahn A 3 in direction of Frankfurt am Main, at the motorway junction Mönchhofdreieck take autobahn A 67 in direction of Ludwigshafen, and at the motorway junction Darmstädter Kreuz turn into the A 5 in direction of Karlsruhe.
- From the north (Hamburg, Frankfurt) Take autobahn A 5 in direction of Karlsruhe and Basel.
- From the east (München, Stuttgart) Take autobahn A 8 until motorway junction Karlsruhe (Autobahndreieck Karlsruhe) and turn into the A 5 in direction of Frankfurt am Main.
- From the east (Nürnberg, Heilbronn) Take autobahn A 6 until Bruchsal, then turn into the A 5 until Karlsruhe.
- From the south (Basel, Strasbourg) Take autobahn A 5 in direction of Karlsruhe and Frankfurt.
- From the west (Paris, Saarbrücken) Take autobahn A 6 in direction of Ludwigshafen and Mannheim until motorway junction (Autobahnkreuz) Frankenthal, then the A 61 in direction of Ludwigshafen. Behind Ludwigshafen, at the motorway junction (Autobahndreieck) Hockenheim, turn into the A 6 in direction of Nürnberg, and at the motorway junction (Autobahnkreuz) Walldorf turn into the A 5 in direction of Karlsruhe.
Take the autobahn exit Karlsruhe-Durlach direction Karlruhe city. Follow the main road (Durlacher Alle) and the signs 'Universität'. The main entrance of the campus is located near the Durlacher Tor/Adenauerring . Ask the gateman for permission to enter the campus. The Engler Bunte Institut is located in building 40.12, 40.13 and 40.14
Please refer to the city map and the campus map for a better orientation.
... by plane:
- via Stuttgart Train and autobahn communications to and from Karlsruhe see above. There is a shuttle service between the Stuttgart Airport and the Stuttgart central station. The Deutsche Bahn AG will provide you with information about the schedule, the departures, and arrivals. - information about Stuttgart airport by phone: 49-711-9 48 33 88 - communications to and from Stuttgart airport - public transportation in the Stuttgart region
- via Frankfurt Train and motorway communications to and from Karlsruhe see above. The Deutsche Bahn AG offers communications from Frankfurt airport and from Frankfurt main station. The Deutsche Bahn AG will provide you with information about the schedule, the departures, and arrivals.
... by public transport
Karlsruhe has a very good public transportation system. In the town centre, it is advisable to go by tram which arrive during office hours any two to ten minutes. The entire public transportation system is co-ordinated by the Karlsruher Verkehrsverbund. In the city are, the following fares are in effect (June 1997):
Single trip ticket (Einzelfahrschein) DM 3,50-- for one person and one way in one direction. Interruptions and tram/bus changes are allowed. Multiple trips ticket (Mehrfahrtenkarte) DM 10,-- 4 single trip tickets for one person and one way in one direction each. Interruptions and tram/bus changes are allowed. 24 hours city ticket DM 8,-- Valid for two persons during 24 hours in the city area.
The tickets have to be cancelled in the tram or in the bus.
More useful informations can be found at the tourism-page of Karlsruhe.